SEMINOLE YOUTH SOCCER
Rules for U-10 Division
Game Times/Length: This Division is designed for children who are 10 years and 10 years old or younger on September 1, 2023. Games will be played on Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Games will be played in two 35 minute halves. There will be a two-minute water break around the midway point of each half. There will be a five-minute break between the two halves, when the teams change sides. All games must start on time, because you must leave the field by the start time of the next game that is assigned to the field.
Number of Players: Nine players will be on the field at any given time. This means eight field players and one goalie. If one team is short players, the opposing team will play with the same number as the team that is short.
League Rules of Play:
- All players will receive an equal amount of playing time, regardless of a player’s ability to make it to practice.
- All players must be allowed to play every position that they wish to try.
- Games will be played with a size 4 ball that is supplied by the home team.
- One coach from each team is allowed on the field during play. He/she will also serve as the referee and scorekeeper. The other coach or coaches are responsible for making sure that all players play an equal amount of time. No coaches or parents are allowed behind the goals.
- The first team listed on the schedule will be the visiting team and will start the game with the ball. The kickoff occurs from the center of the field with the opposing team outside the center circle and both teams on their sides of the field. Teams switch sides, and the home team will kick-off to start the second half.
- No tripping, hitting, pushing, or kicking is allowed. Absolutely NO SLIDE TACKLING is allowed at anytime.
- No intentional touching of the ball with the hands (from the shoulder to the finger tips) is allowed, unless you are the goalkeeper inside of the penalty area.
- NO INTENTIONAL HEADING of the ball will be coached during practice nor used during the game. A change of possession will occur at the spot of the intentional heading. The player will be warned not to head the ball. If the heading occurs inside the penalty area by the defensive team, the ball will be placed outside the area for the kick.
- Balls out of play:
- The ball must completely cross the line to be out of play.
- Ball out of play on the sideline will be put into play with a throw-in by the team that
did not touch the ball last.
- Ball out of play on the endline will be put into play (by the team that did not touch the
ball last) with:
- a goal kick by the defensive team.
- a corner kick by the offensive team.
- Fouls or hand balls: All fouls shall result in a direct free kick. The opposing team may set up a wall or position a player no closer than 5 yards from the spot of the kick. No kicks by the attacking team will be taken within the defending team’s goal area. The ball will be placed outside the goal area nearest to where the infraction took place. The defending team may set up a wall. No penalty kicks are to be taken during these games.
- Goalkeepers are allowed to use their hands inside the penalty box. He/she must wear a jersey or vest that is a different color from both teams. Once the goalkeeper has possession of the ball he/she may move around freely to distribute the ball with a throw or a kick. If the goalkeeper steps outside of the box while in possession of the ball, a direct free kick is
awarded to the other team from that spot. The defending team may put up a wall in front of the kick.
- The offside rule will be enforced at this age group. The basic rule is that a player on the attacking side of midfield must have two players between or even with him/her and the goal before he/she can become involved in the play. No attacking players may hang out in front of the opponents goal.
- Goals are scored when the ball crosses the goal line between the post and under the crossbar completely.
- Substitutions can be made during any dead ball situation (free kick, throw-ins, goal kicks, etc.).
- Substitutions must be made from the sideline, at the center of the field
- All spectators are to be at least one yard from the side of the field. Absolutely no spectators are allowed behind the end-line (goal) during the match.
- Practices are optional and do not determine playing time on Saturdays. Coaches are to try to give an equal amount of playing time to each player, each game.
- Players must wear their Seminole Youth Soccer uniforms at all games. This includes matching socks and shorts.
- Shin guards are mandatory and must be worn at all practices and games. Socks must be worn over the shin guard. Soccer shoes are strongly recommended, but not required.
- Absolutely no jewelry or baseball caps are allowed to be worn during practices or games. A goalie may wear a soft hat to keep the sun out of his/her eyes.
- Everyone is required to have lots of fun.