SEMINOLE YOUTH SOCCER
RULES for U-12 Division
Game Times/Length: This Division is designed for children who are 11 years and 12 years old or younger on September 1, 2017. Games will be played on Saturdays at various times. There will be a few games played during the week due to an odd number of teams at this age group. Games will be played in two 35-minute halves. There will be a five-minute break between the two halves, when the two teams change sides. All games must start on time, because you must leave the field by the start of the next game that is assigned to the field. Please remember to warm-up off the field before your game starts and use a running clock, meaning the clock should not stop during the game.
Number of Players: There will be a maximum of 16 players on each team, unless the coach agrees to or asks for additional players. Nine players will be on the field at any given time. This means Eight field players and one goalie. If one team is short players, the opposing team will play with the same number as the team that is short.
League Rules of Play:
- All players will receive an equal amount of playing time, regardless of the player’s ability to make it to practice.
- Games will be played using a size 5 ball that is supplied by the home team.
- One coach from each team is allowed on the field during play. He/she will also serve as the referee. The other coach or coaches are responsible for making sure that all players play an equal amount of time. No coaches or parents will be allowed behind the goals.
- The first team listed on the schedule will be the visiting team and will start with the ball in the first half. Teams will switch sides at halftime, and the home team will kick off the second half.
- No tripping, hitting, pushing, or kicking allowed, and absolutely NO SLIDE TACKLING is allowed.
- No intentional touching of the ball with the hands (from the shoulder to the finger tips) is allowed, unless the player is the goalkeeper and is inside the penalty box.
- Heading for this age group will be limited to practice only, with a limited amount of time and/or reps. No intentional heading will be allowed in the games. If a player intentionally heads the ball, the opposing player will receive an indirect free kick from the spot of the foul. The player will be warned to not head the ball. If he/she continues, he/she will be asked to sit down for the remainder of that game.
- Offside: The offside rule will be enforced in this age group. The rule states that when a pass is made to player two from player one, player two may not be in an offside position. An offside position occurs when player two is on his/her opponent’s end of the field and there are not two defending players between or even with him/her and the goal. When an offside occurs, the defending team is awarded a free kick from the spot of the offside.
- Balls out of play:
- The ball must completely cross the line to be out of play.
- Ball out of play on the touchline (sideline) will be put into play with a throw-in (two hands over the head) by the team that did not touch the ball last.
- Ball out of play on the end-line will be put into play, by the team that did not touch it last, with:
- a goal kick by the defending team.
- a corner kick by the attacking team.
- Substitutions can be made during any dead ball situation (free kick, throw-ins, goal kicks, etc.)
- Substitutions must be made from the sideline, at the center of the field.